Pages

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Samsung Galaxy Avant in Windows 8.1 shows "This folder is empty"

So, I was trying to multi-task and do a little work while on a conference call. I plugged my phone into my laptop (Toshiba Satellite, running Windows 8.1) so it could charge. I hadn't done it before, so I also wanted to verify that it was working as a data device. I went to "This PC" (That's like "My Computer" to us old Win9x guys). There it was, "Brat Phone" I double clicked it and got "This folder is empty"

So, I started doing Google searches for it and found pretty much nothing. I was starting to think there was some kind of compatibility issue between the Galaxy Avant and Windows 8, but figured that if there were, someone else would have blogged about it or asked a question in a forum by now.

Then it crossed my mind, During a phone call, the Avant (and presumably many other Android devices) will go to the lock screen. The call continues, but all other functions of the phone are locked. As soon as I put in my unlock pin, and then went back to "This PC", the folders were available on my device. (actually, the device shows up, when you click it there is a drive "inside" it, and there are folders on that drive.)

Problem solved.

tldr;
Make sure your phone is not on the lock screen when you are trying to access it through Windows 8

No comments: