Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Dark Roast Coffee is an insult to a good bean!

I am not a coffee aficionado. I like coffee ice cream. I like coffee flavored candy, but if you serve me Folgers, Maxwell House, or just about any coffee I've ever encountered, I have to smother it in cream and sugar until it resembles those previously mentioned tasty treats.

I thought that's just how it is! Some seem to take the idea of drinking darker and darker roasts as a challenge in the same way that I might inflict upon myself the delights of habeneros, ghosts and scorpions, or really strong sauerkraut or kimchi.

The CoWork office where I'm a member, CoWork Tampa, offers free coffee. Today there was a "light roast" available. I've heard of them before, and researched that they contain the same amount of caffeine, and that's really why most of us drink this elixir anyway. I had guessed I might like it better because the defining quality I disliked about most coffee is that it tastes like ashes.

So, I brewed a cup with their single cup system that uses little bags instead of the cups. I'm sure this is still far from what the experts would call "Good Coffee", but it is certainly a step up from that letter "K" stuff and my grandma's bulk coffee.

I put half the cream and sugar in compared to what I am used to. What a difference! I wondered, then asked Google "Why is dark roast coffee so popular." In answer, I found this:

Do Me a Favor. Stop Buying Bad Coffee.
Where the author, a self identified experienced barista, says "...dark roast coffee is not only bad, but it is disrespectful."

So, maybe I'm on to something. Let the flavor of the bean come through. We don't burn our cocoa, why should we burn our coffee?

No comments: