Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Site Migration

My employer has always allowed me to host my website on the company server, but because I want to continue to develop my skills not only as a coder, but as an administrator, I have decided to move it to my home server. It (tecbrat.com) now shares a box with selahsanctuary.org and it's related sites.

The only thing on the site at the moment is a single page with a paragraph about my future plans for the site. (php, mysql, web development...) and one Adsense unit that so far isn't very relevant. Guess I need more content for it to get it right.

If you're interested, check out TecBrat

I notice I got several page views on this post, and I'm afraid it might be lacking for those who find it for "site migration", so I'll try to be a little helpful here:

If you are hosted on a server running CPanel/WHM, site migration is actually pretty easy, if you're moving to another CPanel/WHM server. In CPanel, you make a full site backup. This will store all your files, databases, and even email accounts and messages. You give this file to your new host and let them take care of it. (If you have shell access, you can do it on your own, but I don't remember the exact paths and commands at the moment. Google it and it's not that difficult.)

If you don't have CPanel, then you need to maually back up at least your webroot. (www or public_html or whatever it's called in your hosting environment.) Backup any databases you have. (If you have access to phpMyadmin, it's really easy to export a database. Again, Google it and you'll find it pretty easy.)

If it's a large profitable business site, seek professional assistance.
BACKUP EVERYTHING!

With proper backups, you could fail miserably, and simply try again. Without proper backups, you could fail miserably and just be miserable.

No comments: